Jeweler demand leads Hoover and Strong Fairmined decision
Pioneering US jewelers demonstrate demand and lead Hoover & Strong to begin stocking Fairmined gold starting in January 2015
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Cincinnati, OH, Oct. 23, 2014
After three successful purchases of Fairmined gold from AURELSA, a Fairmined certified mining community in Relave, Peru, independent U.S. jewelers and Hoover & Strong commit to a new sourcing model. Hoover & Strong will purchase and stock Fairmined gold in a variety of forms for on demand ordering to begin January, 2015.
Ethical Metalsmiths’ (EM) recent proposal to Hoover & Strong (H&S) to increase access to and create convenient purchasing of certified Fairmined gold is the backbone for new commitments by H&S. In January 2015 H&S will be stocking Fairmined gold.
“We appreciate Ethical Metalsmith’s vision and coordination to bring Fairmined metal to the U.S. We feel it is a viable effort that will benefit many small mining communities around the world.” Torry Hoover, Hoover & Strong
Available products will be grain, sheet and round wire in 14K, 18K and 24K yellow Fairmined gold and additional Fairmined products may be offered based on customer needs. Fairmined silver will also be available in casting grain.
"This is an exciting and much needed development in increasing jeweler and consumer access to Fairmined gold. In the pilot phase customers had to pre-pay and wait for group purchases of Fairmined gold, with the new model customers will be able to simply call Hoover & Strong and place their order.” Christina Miller, Ethical Metalsmiths.
Through sourcing Fairmined gold any jeweler can help transform mining into an active force for good. “By buying Fairmined gold you help us to improve our methods, protect the environment and improve our performance in social responsibility.” Rosa Reyes, AURELSA, Peru.
To help the miners plan their year and H&S make the right purchasing and product development decisions, please take 3 minutes (estimated survey completion time) and complete a Fairmined Gold (and silver) Demand Assessment Survey.
Take a moment to sign-up and/or update your contact information to receive email communications from Ethical Metalsmiths. Click here to update.
Jewelers interested in purchasing Fairmined gold and silver from Hoover & Strong should establish an account with H&S and become a Fairmined licensee. Between now and January H&S is purchasing Fairmined certified gold and silver in preparation for the first round of January orders.
Become a Fairmined Licensee - Consumer awareness and expectations are continually growing. The Fairmined label is assurance for you and your customers that the gold is responsibly mined. By becoming a Fairmined licensee you can add value through the added emotional benefits, a story of origin, and a human connection to the passionate mining communities. Fairmined positions you to be a pioneer and leader while mitigating risk and exceeding consumer expectations, providing you with a source of gold to be proud of. To become a Fairmined licensee, please contact your representative at the Alliance for Responsible Mining, Conny Havel for details - email@example.com
About Ethical Metalsmiths:
• Ethical Metalsmiths (EM) is a US based, internationally recognized, independent jewelry ethics association aimed at making jewelry a vehicle of long-term positive benefit for the global community. EM members are jewelers, consumers, educators, retailers, suppliers, and environmental stewards who are driven to create a legacy of beauty and justice. EM is committed to responsible environmental practices, social rights, and economic justice.
• Ethical Metalsmiths’ mission is to lead jewelers and consumers in becoming informed activists for responsible mining, sustainable economic development and verified, ethical sources of materials used in making jewelry.
• Ethical Metalsmiths carries out its mission by: working directly with jewelers, consumers and suppliers to provide the most reliable resources possible for the ethical production of jewelry. EM encourages best practices, holds jewelry producers and suppliers accountable and educates the marketplace about responsible practices. Ethical Metalsmiths collaborates with other organizations and community groups and individuals to realize its mission. Become a member.
About Hoover & Strong:
• Hoover & Strong is a manufacturer and refiner of 100% recycled precious metals. Established in 1912, Hoover & Strong is the supplier of choice for metalsmiths, large jewelry manufacturers, diamond houses and distributors. Product lines include mill products, findings, diamonds, mountings, semi-mounts and finished jewelry. Services include custom casting, diamond setting, assembly, finishing and refining. Hoover & Strong's vision is to "Provide the world jewelry market with the most innovative, environmentally-responsible products."
• Over 30,000 Hoover & Strong jewelry products are made with SCS Certified, Harmony Recycled Metals, which include gold, platinum, palladium and silver.
• World’s Greenest Refiner - In April 2012, Scientific Certification Systems (SCS), a globally-recognized independent third party sustainability expert, certified us as a Responsible Source Refiner. This certification confirms our ongoing commitment to the environment and to our customers who demand raw materials that are ethically sourced with minimal environmental impact.
About the FAIRMINED label:
• Fairmined Gold is ethical gold extracted by Artisanal and Small-scale miners certified under the Fairmined Standard. Fairmined gold is the achievement of the world’s pioneering and industry leading network of responsible Artisanal and Small-scale miners. An initiative and movement led by and for the miners. The Fairmined model is open to all market players wishing to make a positive impact on responsible mining.
• Fairmined is powered by The Alliance for Responsible Mining (ARM), an independent, global-scale, pioneering initiative established in 2004 to enhance equity and wellbeing in Artisanal and Small-scale Mining (ASM) communities. ARM is committed to social justice and environmental responsibility as the values driving the transformation of ASM.