The Ethical Jeweler Directory is a project designed to help consumers find studio jewelers who are informed and committed to social and environmental responsibility.
This directory is unique. There are a number of web based “jewelry directories” but they do not identify jewelers who are committed to ethical sourcing and practices. There are several “green” and “fair trade” directories that include jewelry, but the terms “sustainable,” “green,” “Fair Trade,” “eco” or “responsible” are ambiguous.
The Ethical Metalsmiths Directory is different. Jewelers must be committed to social and environmental responsibility. They must have an Ethical Policy statement on their website and agree to transparency in material sourcing and in their studio practices. They will be signers of the Golden Rules, “No Dirty Gold’s” campaign set of human rights, social and environmental criteria for the responsible mining of precious metals. Individual listings will include an image, a statement about their work and experience and a link to their website. The purpose of the Directory is to:
• Connect people with responsibly sourced materials
• Promote ethical sourcing
• Provide alternatives to brand name, manufactured jewelry products
• Present the option of working with an artisan
• Increase accessibility to jewelers who support social and environmental responsibility
• Encourage the sales of responsibly sourced, handmade jewelry to a wide audience
• Provide the opportunity "buy local"